Information

FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT



Front Facade constructed of Bedford limestone, practically unchanged since it was built.

In The First National Bank of Dwight, Wright created a structure that has stood the test of time and remains virtually unchanged. Initially designed to house two separate businesses, it was remodeled in the 1950's to keep abreast with modern banking conditions and the growth of the institution. The major change was the lowering of the beamed skylight ceiling in order to install air conditioning. The oak trim was removed and much of the interior limestone was covered. In the 1960's, the bank was remodeled again to restore the buildings original character. The dividing partition was removed to allow the bank to occupy the entire space.


Lobby expanded into former real estate office and restored using Wright's original plans.













Fireplace the only element to use Roman brick in the entire building.

The original plans were used to replace the oak trim and to recreate the skylight, which is now lit through electrical means. Wright believed there was a natural and honest truth in a building's materials, the exposed brickwork, the natural strength of oak and even the exposed pillars revealing the building's structure. As a molder of form and space, Wright experienced the relationship between architecture and surrounding nature as perhaps no other architect in history, so that his buildings seem to literally grow out of their environments.


Click here to link to a web site featuring Frank Lloyd Wright information

nbsp;